Travelling Frag Tank

I have been scouring eBay, BRS, saltwater.com, and all over the internet for the perfect frag tank (for me), and couldn’t find exactly what I wanted.
There were plenty of acrylic tanks that were close but the footprint didn’t match what I was looking for at the height I was after. I inquired about custom building to my dimensions then the cost was much more. So rather than settle for almost the right size I decided to build my own, thinking it would be fun and probably save a few bucks.

Well the saving a few bucks part went out the window, but after a lot of scratching my head, punching on a calculator, and pestering the poor woman at the glass company, I finally decided on the exact size, types of glass, and stepped into another project, because I don’t have enough projects …

I will update this as I go but for now the glass has arrived.

3 Likes

Yessssss! This is gonna be awesome!

1 Like

Years ago I built my own frag tank with acrylic and was fun to do.
looking forward to see the progress you make on this DIY project :+1:

1 Like

I agree this looks awesome!! What are dimensions of the tank you are building?

1 Like

The footprint is 24x20

It will have an overflow in the rear at 4” wide

That gives me about 23 1/2” long left to right and 16” front to back at 8” deep

This will hold 6 square frag racks that are about 7 1/2” square

The bottom glass and overflow divider are dark grey (almost black) the rest is standard green edged glass

In planning to take the bottom frame off of a 10 gallon tank and cut it up to fashion four “feet” at each corner to keep it off of the table/stand

Going to use black silicone to put it all together

1 Like

Can’t wait to see how it turns out!