Ok, big celebration for small victories. It’s been quite an odyssey so I’m feeling good and need to share: My tank is finally stabilized at .06 ppm for PO4, and 9 for Alk. It’s been a long and challenging journey mostly due to my own incompetence.
Last July I upgraded from a 90 to a 120. I love the 120. It feels like the perfect size for me, at least at this moment (lol!). At about the same time, I switched from a dosing set up to a calcium reactor. So, I thought I was golden: that the upgrade would have a minimal effect on my tank, that my mostly stable parameters would remain stable, and that it would be relatively easy to lock in my alk with the calc reactor. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Almost a year later, I finally achieved those goals (at least for the time being–fingers crossed).
Today was the 4th week in a row where I got an Alk reading of 9 and a PO4 of .06. My alk was never bad, it would just slowly gain or lose .01 per day with every minor adjustment. Frustrating. My PO4, on the other hand, was a nightmare. It spiked up over 1.2, I was dumb and got reckless with the GFO so it would swing up and down, blah blah blah.
Fingers crossed I can keep these parameters stable long term and start to see some serious growth in my corals. Also, maybe I can finally keep some acros successfully.
But also, thanks to everyone here, esp. Adam, Donovan, and Jeff, who offered such good advice along the way.